thunar-volman ported to udev/GIO

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Thu Jul 22 21:54:13 CEST 2010

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 20:07:23 +0200
Mike Massonnet <mmassonnet at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jannis,
>
> Since you are passing time on the project it is the right time to ask,
> how about an additional right click context menu entry "Remove safely"
> under "Eject the device"? Currently "Eject" only unmounts the file
> system, and this is not enough in order to safely remove the device,
> one has to eject each of them which is not friendly (here when I plug
> a device, all file systems are mounted).

I don't know how users are supposed to know what "Remove safely" means.
I'd rather call it "Eject entire device" or something like that. It's
unrelated to thunar-volman though. And I think I have a better idea how
to handle devices with more than one partition:

On the long term, I'd like to replace the current sidepane with
something like this:

  http://www.bomahy.nl/hylke/blog/clutter-in-nautilus-sidebar/

In addition, I'd like to group volumes belonging to the same device and
make it possible to eject the entire device with one click (no context
menu needed for that). This is something for 4.10 (Thunar 1.4.0) though.

  - Jannis