xfdesktop: dealing with (fullscreen) low-res apps that screw up icon placement

David Mohr squisher at xfce.org
Mon Jan 11 22:33:21 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Adam Glover <masato529 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Adam Glover <masato529 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've noticed that the normal behavior of xfdesktop is not ideal
>> for all situations.
>>
>> The problem in this case is that some applications which run in
>> fullscreen, have a set resoution (or just lower maximum) than I run
>> on my monitor.  This causes any arrangement of icons to get messed
>> up as soon as the app resizes the screen.
>>
>> I could find no way to deal with this behavior so I modified xfdesktop.
>> Was this necessary or is there some possible configuration I missed?
>> (or is this already being dealt with in a develpment branch?)
>>
>> I am including my changes against xfdesktop4-4.6.1 so devs can get
>> an idea as to what I did and perhaps comment on it.  If my changes
>> seem bizarre, I apologize (I'm not terribly experienced with real coding)
>> but it should give you an idea as to what I'd like to see in the program.
>>
>> I just set up an option that would cancel responses to desktop resizing
>> and would be able to toggle it in a running instance.  It suits my needs
>> but I don't know if there's a possiblity of having messed anything else
>> up.
>>
>> Comments and suggestions are quite welcome.
>

> Sorry, I'm new to the list so I don't want to be a pest but since I sent this
> during the holidays, I fear perhaps nobody saw it (and based on other
> response times I've seen here so far).
>
> Also, I'm assuming we don't top-post in our replies.  Is that how everyone
> does it on this list?
>

> I'd appreciate any feedback anybody can provide on this issue.

Hi,
yes, bottom posting is the norm here.

The author of xfdesktop seems to be pretty busy in real life these
days. Even if he wasn't bugzilla is the correct place for patches, so
I'd recommend to add it there. Then later either it can be integrated,
or others with the same problem can at least find the patch you
provided.

~David