The scope of xfwm

Sam Swift renmush at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 14:55:39 CET 2010

Hello all,

First I'd like to say thank you for a fantastic desktop environment,
I've been using Xfce for 7 years now and just can't switch away (I
have tried a few times, but I always came crawling back). So Thank you
for all the hard work and the wonderful product.

My question then is how far is the scope of the project restricted by
its light weight nature?

My personal interest is feature based. There are two features that I
find frustratingly absent in Xfce:
-An expose clone, Scale in Compiz, also in KDE. A feature request has
existed since 2007 but I understand that it is far from a priority
(Bug 3541).
-Screen edge functionality; rather than just changing desktop, a rich
set of features and options. For example:
http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.4/ second video, or Windows 7 Snap
(even better if it allowed quarter snapping in the corners). Also
allowing launching custom applications, show desktop, expose,
different actions for dragging widows or just mouse, etc.

So what I'd like to know is whether features such as these fall within
what is acceptable for the project, or whether their inclusion would
be considered bloating and undesirable?

I don't want this to sound like a feature request, as I intend to have
a look at implementing them myself (if my limited time and programming
skill allows). But would appreciate some other opinions on what Xfce
could include?

Thanks again,
Sam