Xfce web site maintenance

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Thu Feb 4 04:43:30 CET 2010

Nick Schermer wrote:
> 2010/2/1 Jérôme Guelfucci <jeromeg at xfce.org>:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> At the beginning of this development cycle I had volunteered to take care of
>> the maintenance of xfce.org. Unfortunately, I have not been able to give it
>> as much time as it requires and things aren't going to improve now that I
>> started hacking a bit on xfce4-session and xfce4-settings and real life
>> stuff planned.
>
> The hacking is a good excuse, I used it too ;-).
>
>> I would like to hand this task to someone else, I don't want to slow things
>> down here. I know Nick has been working on a branch to improve the
>> translation system but I really think core developers shouldn't take care of
>> things like that, their free time can be better used on Xfce coding. It's a
>> great way to get newcomers involved and there are a lot of Web developers
>> out there, I'm pretty sure we can find one who uses Xfce and has some free
>> time.
>
> To be honest: i think we should drop translations on the website (and
> a bit ot; also the wiki). That is the part that makes most updates too
> time consuming and it's not a shame if the website is english only
> (from a quick look, gnome.org and kde.org are also only available in
> english).
>
>> What do you guys think about this? I would particularly appreciate some
>> input from Auke (as our sysadmin) and Nick (as our Web site guru ^^), but
>> other inputs are of course welcome. If people agree with this idea, I'm
>> ready to write an email to the Xfce users list and a post in Planet Xfce to
>> try to find someone who would be interested, I could ask on #xfce too.
>
> Of course we can also look for a new website maintainer, but I think
> we should downscale the work first. The translations was a nice idea,
> but since we really lack the man power it is a good time to drop it
> and work towards a smaller website.

that's fine. I'll support whoever wants to take this over.

most of all everyone has access to the code, and you only need a test
http/php installation and an editor to work on this - commit access can
always come later, soooooo

if you're interested in helping out, go download the website repo and
make changes as you see fit. Send us patches and we can discuss and/or
merge them.

I'd like to see mostly content changes and not so much changes to the
technical part: websites are about content and the site currently works.
Switching to another CMS is a big waste of time IMNSHO.

Auke