4.8 date

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Thu Dec 30 16:20:38 CET 2010

Hey Benny,

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 15:13:05 +0100
Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm planing to spend some more time on Xfce again in the near future.

that's awesome, welcome back!

> I was wondering what is the current plan for the 4.8 release? Is the
> schedule in the wiki up2date? How is the release done with git?
> Create separate branch or use master branch for last minute fixes?

http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.8/schedule is up to date, yes. Nick and I
were planning to perform individual releases of core components for
4.8pre3 this weekend. There are outstanding bugs but delaying 4.8
again doesn't help with that if nobody has time to fix them.

Ideally, we'd follow the procedure explained on
http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/release-model and create ELS branches for
fixes applied after code freeze (4.8pre3) but due to man power problems
we'll probably skip code freeze and ELS branches and just fix things in
master.

Individual releases can be done anytime before 4.8 by following the
instructions on http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/individual-releases
(note that development releases are the same as stable releases, except
you need to check out the master branch instead of a stable branch
prior to preparing the release).

  - Jannis