LightDM

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Thu Aug 19 17:47:00 CEST 2010

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 17:18:18 +1000
Robert Ancell <robert.ancell at gmail.com> wrote:

> You may or may not be aware of my project to create a new display
> manager, LightDM [1].  The project is in an alpha state where I can
> run LightDM as my display manager, but it needs more work.
>
> If you are interested, I am actively interested in supporting the XFCE
> project in getting LightDM working well.  I will also be proposing
> LightDM for use in Ubuntu in Maverick+1 and GNOME in 3.0.
>
> What I need from you:
> - Feedback!
> - Tell me what features XFCE needs.
> - How to fit in with the XFCE release schedule.
> - Keep bugging me until all the roadblocks are gone.  You can send me
> an email every day if you like with the list of bugs that are stopping
> it from working in XFCE. :)
>
> [1] https://launchpad.net/lightdm

I won't speak for Xfce, but for me, problem number one is early:

  Run autogen.sh:
  "You need to install gnome-common from the GNOME CVS"

I understand that this won't be required at runtime, so from a
*user* point of view, it's irrelevant.  However, I'd prefer not
to require gnome-common for non-gnome software.

I haven't gotten far enough to see if it's going to be an issue,
but if ldm requires pam, then I'd also love to see that as an
optional requirement.

-RW