Compressing distribution tarballs for release with xz

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 20:44:35 CEST 2010

Hi folk,

I had like to take your thought on how confident you are to distribute
tarballs for releases compressed with xz[0]. To make this happen you
just have to initialize automake with "dist-xz"[1] and "make dist"
will create an xz tarball. Unarchiving xz tarballs works as always
with the tar command line tool, "tar tf foo.tar.xz", "tar xf
foo.tar.xz", etc. Why do I want to go with xz is simple, it has a
better compression ratio, and hence it's the same reason why we
switched from gzip to bzip2.

[0] http://tukaani.org/xz/
[1] AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([no-dist-gzip dist-xz])

Cheers!
--
Mike