cpufreq in the power manager

Josh Saddler nightmorph at gentoo.org
Tue Sep 15 08:51:43 CEST 2009

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On what information is this belief founded?  Regardless, why should
> these problems be "solved" by a userspace GUI app?
>
> (If your laptop is getting too hot because your CPU is running at a high
> frequency too often, it's probably because the kernel or SMC chip or
> whatever is doing a poor job of controlling your fan.  Putting a band
> aid on the problem by throttling the CPU is not the solution.)

Actually, I need to control CPU speed fairly often:.I need to change
governors and manually set the speed any time I watch full-screen Flash
video from Hulu or Youtube. I have to find the right balance between
required performance and heat/power draw that eventually spins up the
PSU fan.

Right now Flash doesn't properly report its CPU load needs, so both
cores remain at minimum, which isn't enough for my R700 card +
xf86-video-ati driver to do all the heavy lifting.

Most of the time I can just leave my desktop and laptop set to the
"ondemand" governor, but as often as I switch to the userspace, an easy
graphical interface would be valuable to me, as a user. Because doing
things in the terminal sucks.

>> I wanted to ask whether you would consider (re-)implementing a CPU
>> frequency tab in both "On AC" and "On Battery", in which users could
>> select the desired governor. A nice addition would be an option to
>> select the minimum and maximum frequency that the current governor can
>> choose.
>
> Featuritis...

Just because *you* don't want it doesn't make it a disease. :)

I, too, would like to see this feature. It's useful for at least a few
people.

>> Also, "Information" could report battery as well as current
>> governor/frequency information.
>
> Displaying the current freq could be nice.

Indeed.