cpufreq in the power manager

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Tue Sep 15 00:19:55 CEST 2009

On 09/14/2009 03:05 PM, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> Dear Ali
> This is related to the CPU frequency features in the power manager.
> One of the features present in 0.6.* and that I miss most in 0.8.*
> concerns the ability to choose the governors. I know that some
> consider the governors as time-waste, but I believe that they are
> potentially important to many users (among others, for controlling the
> heating of laptops).

On what information is this belief founded?  Regardless, why should
these problems be "solved" by a userspace GUI app?

(If your laptop is getting too hot because your CPU is running at a high
frequency too often, it's probably because the kernel or SMC chip or
whatever is doing a poor job of controlling your fan.  Putting a band
aid on the problem by throttling the CPU is not the solution.)

> I wanted to ask whether you would consider (re-)implementing a CPU
> frequency tab in both "On AC" and "On Battery", in which users could
> select the desired governor. A nice addition would be an option to
> select the minimum and maximum frequency that the current governor can
> choose.

Featuritis...

> Also, "Information" could report battery as well as current
> governor/frequency information.

Displaying the current freq could be nice.

	-brian