xfwm4 snapping and spacings

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sat Sep 5 18:51:15 CEST 2009

Hey,

I usually arange my windows so that there is a ~15-20px space between
them, as can be seen on http://tinyurl.com/km6ajq for instance. In
combination with workspace margins this gives me a feeling of having a
better overview and less chaos on my screen.

Now xfwm4 has this fancy feature allowing windows to snap to other
window, strut and screen edges. I'd like to (optionally) combine this
with workspace margins and a space-between-windows option, so that
one can optionally snap not directly to the edges but to the edges +/- a
customizable space. I'd also like to integrate it with the fill feature.

I guess that all in all, this would require only one new option
/general/space-between-windows (unsigned int) in either the window
manager or the wm tweaks dialog.
We could probably re-use the /general/snap_to_windows and
/general/snap_to_border options to snap to edges +/- this space instead
of the edges themselves.

Olivier, would you accept a patch for this? I could upload my
modifications to a public branch so that people can test it before it
is merged.

I think this might improve xfwm4's position in the competition with
tiled window managers. But maybe you guys have ideas on how to improve
my idea even further?

  - Jannis