Xfce4-dev Digest, Vol 71, Issue 19

andy wang wandy817 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 14:53:41 CET 2009

2009/10/25 <xfce4-dev-request at xfce.org>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 11:38:02 +0100
> From: Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Help]: Question about compositing with xfwm4
> To: XFCE4 development list <xfce4-dev at xfce.org>
>
> Hi,
>
> On 10/23/09, andy wang <wandy817 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> If "xli" sets the root pixmap property XROOTPMAP, xfwm4 can be built
> >> to "listen" to the XROOTPMAP property and repaint the background
> >> accordingly, you just need to built xfwm4 from sources with
> >> MONITOR_ROOT_PIXMAP defined.
> >>
> >> [....]
> > So if I want to make xli works properly with compositor extension, I need
> >
> > 1 .change XROOTPMAP property with the root pixmap in xli,
> > 2. build xfwm4 with XROOTPMAP
> > 3. need a gtk event loop to receive expose event, and repaint the
> background
> > in expose callback function
> >
> > If there no loop to repaint background,  it will fail, am i right? so i
> > should to add a event loop to xli source code if i want to
> > make xli works properly with compositor feature.
>
> Humm, nope, there is no need tor an event loop at all.
>
> Check this: http://www.eterm.org/docs/view.php?doc=ref#trans
>
> For the XPixmap to be retqined fter xli hqs exited, you need to call
> XSetCloseDownMode(display, RetainPermanent) before exiting so that the
> resources are not discarded when the connection with the display
> closes.
>
> Cheers,
> Olivier:
>

>    Hi, Olivier
   I change the xli source code like Esetroot, and startup xli before xfwm4,

   it looks like that the xli could work with xfwm4( with compositor on),
   however, if i startup xli after xfwm4 , the desktop background didn't
repaint yet.
   The background cann't display out.  The xli source code like:
   1. set_pixmap_property, set "_XROOTPMAP_ID" and  "ESETROOT_PMAP_ID"
property,
       and XSetCloseDownMode(display, RetainPermanent)
   2.  XSetWindowBackgroundPixmap to root window

   3. XClearWindow to clear root window and make xserver to repaint the root
window

      if i startup xli after xfwm4, it looks like the last step didn't work
yet. whether the xserver will send any
     messages to xfwm4 when any client clear the root window?

   Thanks,
   Black