[Xfce4-commits] <xfce4-dev-tools:master> Don't set the default visibility in XDT_FEATURE_VISIBILITY.

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Thu Oct 22 13:57:38 CEST 2009

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 13:50:12 +0200
Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/10/22 Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com>:
> > 2009/10/22 Brian J. Tarricone <brian at tarricone.org>:
> >> Nick, revert this please.  If you don't want to use visibility
> >> properly in your module, then don't use the macro.  Don't make it
> >> useless for everyone else.
> >
> > Define useless. You think this changes anything in, for example,
> > xfconf?
>
> Let's put in another way, it is better to set the default visibility
> level for the library you compile if you want to use this. The global
> visibility makes this unusable for thunar (break modules), exo (gio
> module and private hal library), 4ui (private kbd lib) and the panel
> (all plugins).

You mean break as in: the symbols of these libraries and modules are
hidden with -fvisibility=hidden because we don't properly export
symbols yet? How about we force people/ourselves to export their public
symbols properly rather than removing something that's actually good
for everyone?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

  - Jannis