[Goodies-dev] git repository layout

Ali Abdallah aliov at xfce.org
Sun May 17 00:50:11 CEST 2009

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On 05/16/2009 01:48 PM, Ali Abdallah wrote:
>
>> 1) The version number in the packages names, is going to stay and
>> changes from a major release to another 4, 6, ... ?
>
> I don't think we're planning on changing versioning at all.  The
> "core" components will follow the 4.x.y scheme with even x values as
> stable releases.
>
> Goodie maintainers have their own release schedules and use their own
> versioning.

I wasn't clear, i'm speaking about the version number in packages name,
xfce4-panel, xfwm4 (but there is xfdesktop without the 4), so the 4 will
go away or it will become in time 6.

>> 2) How do we decide which package goes to xfce and which one goes to the
>> goodies?
>
> Well, with the migration, I'd mostly leave the split as-is, with maybe
> a couple differences:
>
> 1.  All panel plugins will go under a new panel-plugins/ subdir.  I'll
> also move xfce4-trigger-launcher from xfce/ to panel-plugins/
>

> 2. The following will be moved to goodies:
>
> * squeeze (Stephan has been asking me to move this for a while)
> * xarchiver (need to talk to Giuseppe about this; we have yet to ship
> a version of xarchiver with Xfce, so I don't think this should be in
> core)
> * mousepad (No active maintainer for some time)
>
> 3.  The following will be moved to archive:
>
> * libxfce4mcs
> * xfce-mcs-manager
> * xfce-mcs-plugins
> * xfce4-debs (last commit 4 years ago, does anyone even use these?)
>
> 4.  The following will be moved to a new bindings/ subdir:
>
> * pyxfce
> * xfce4-perl
> * xfc
>
> Long-term, I think it might be a good idea to move these bindings into
> the libraries/packages they support (libxfce4util, libxfcegui4,
> xfce4-panel) instead of having separate packages, and then
> configure-time switches could determine if they're compiled/installed
> or not.  libexo does this with its python bindings, and I think it's a
> good idea.  However, pyxfce is unmaintained these days and needs work,
> and xfce4-perl also needs some updates that I haven't gotten around
> to.  XFC is pretty much unmaintained these days and should remain a
> separate package anyway.
>
> 5.  The following are undecided, but I'd like to move them to goodies:
>
> * xfcalendar (orage)
> * xfce4-appfinder (maybe not; it's simple and useful; maybe we should
> even move this into xfce-utils and scrap the separate package)
> * xfce4-mixer
> * xfwm4-themes (I think Olivier talked about moving this as well)
>
> 6.  There's also some question of what to do with:
>
> * gtk-xfce-engine-2 (I think Olivier talked about ditching this
> package since most people use the Clearlooks engine now?  I dunno, I
> think people still use it...)
> * installit (Unmaintained, might want to pull out the current
> installer builder branch since trunk isn't finished)
> * terminal (Some people hate terminal because of its issues with ARGB
> windows; I use it and don't care.  Either way, maybe it's not a core
> component.  It's not really actively maintained either.)
> * xfprint (JF doesn't have time to work on this; with printing support
> in gtk now it's kinda unnecessary, though I believe current mousepad
> releases depend on it.  Maybe move to archive.)

Awesome, that's more than i wanted to know actually, i like the idea of
having subdirs for panel plugins/bindings/..., it keeps things organized
and easy to surf with a browser (not like the freedesktop git :) ).

>     -brian

Send unlimited messages for free to all destinations with DBus.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/dbus