xfconf optimisation

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Fri May 15 23:18:36 CEST 2009

2009/5/15 Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu>:
> Nick Schermer wrote:
>>
>> 2009/5/15 Brian J. Tarricone <brian at tarricone.org>:
>>>
>>> So... please test, especially on both really slow and really fast
>>> hardware.
>>
>> Can't compile it:
>> sed -i -e 's/^\([[:space:]]\+GValue[[:space:]]\+[^=]\)\+;\1 = { 0,
>> };/' xfconf-dbus-bindings.h
>> sed: -e expression #1, char 59: unterminated `s' command
>> make[2]: *** [xfconf-dbus-bindings.h] Error 1
>
> Yeah, I suck.  Testing one thing on the command line and then checking in
> something else is a bad idea.  It should work now, though.
>
>>>  If anything looks weird, I'll revert.  If it looks ok, I'll commit it to
>>> the 4.6 branch (it's only on trunk now).
>>
>> I don't think it's a smart idea to backport this because of the
>> possible unintended consequences. "Bugs fixes only", like wise man
>> once told me ;-).
>
> Yeah, I'm not so sure about it either.  Personally I do consider performance
> issues as bugs, though.  Every Xfce app hitting dbus 30+ times on startup
> and having to wait for *each* request to complete before proceeding is
> pretty awful.

Have you heard anyone complaining? ^_^

> Of course, Robby has already noticed a potential issue with xfdesktop
> rearranging his icons on startup, possibly because of a delay in the
> settings fetching, so it may be a moot point and I might back out the change
> entirely.

I've attached 2 patches (need to be committed together, only for
readability). to fix the ignored property base and some compiler
warnings in gcc 4.4 (and my crazy compile flags). Seems to work here
with the patches, only a lot of errors are printed when a property
does not exist:
xfconf-WARNING **: Initial query for property "/foo" failed: Property
"/foo" does not exist on channel "bar"

Still a bit tricky code IMHO, but it is indeed a problem that needs to
be fixed...

Nick