vertical xfce-panel in 4.6

Simon Steinbeiß simon.steinbeiss at elfenbeinturm.at
Tue May 5 12:55:38 CEST 2009

Nick Schermer wrote:

> > No, this is probably a systray bug. ?I seem to remember this popping up a
> > long time ago. ?This is why I'm not a huge fan of rewrites... people tend to
> > reimplement the same bugs over and over, and lose out on many of the bug
> > fixes an old code base has.
>
> Not entirely true, I admit a bunch of code is new, but with the goal
> to implement some new features. The simple problem is, if I allocate a
> size to a socket, they should simply respect it. But due to all the
> different tray implementations, they all behave different.
> I will take a look at the issue, there is also a bug about this, but I
> already know it works fine here, because I've tested the code a
> zillion times...
>
> Nick

I think the systray is only part of the problem. To be honest the most inconvenient part
of using a vertical panel in Xfce 4.6 is the icon-box and the tasklist behaviour.
For example: if I want a rather slim vertical panel (24px), tasklist neither shows any
icons nor any text (only the three dots ...)
Iconbox on the other hand doesn't rotate if I change the panel to vertical, resulting in
only one application to be visible.
At least for me, that makes both (and with them vertical panels in general) quite unusable
for now.

On the other hand some systray bugs seem to have been fixed (e.g. nm-applet is correctly
displayed now).

Simon