Documentation proposal

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Mon May 4 22:04:37 CEST 2009

2009/5/4 Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu>:
> Related to synchronisation, the main benefit is that it's easier to tell
> what's changed -- that is, if I go and change one sentence in the English
> docs, rebuilding the .po files will make it very easy for the translator to
> figure out what I changed without having to read through the entire doc.

Sync the doc allows it to be mixed with english texts. Figuring that
syncing the translated doc is not possible, one good way would be to
have a trunk/ that is an in-progress documentation and english-only.
Than existing branches would exist for stable docs for specific
versions of the components and are freezed, and those would be allowed
to contain translations.

It is easy to let the translator know which documentations can be
translated. I guess that's the best option I can come up with, that is
easy and doesn't let the doc being provided with different locales
while most of them could be out of sync. Very very annoying.

> How do translators deal with the website translations?  Does that seem to
> work well?  Maybe we should use that as a model?

The website, well a pita of course.

2 more cents,
Mike