Documentation proposal

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Mon May 4 10:43:46 CEST 2009

On Mon, 4 May 2009 10:26:33 +0200
Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/5/4 Brian J. Tarricone <brian at tarricone.org>:
> > On Mon, 4 May 2009 08:39:56 +0200 Nick Schermer wrote:
> >> On the other hand I can understand all the docs in a single repo
> >> are easier to maintain, which is at this point the biggest issue.
> >> So maybe we can put all the docs in 1 git module and we use a hook
> >> inside a module (thunar, panel, xfwm4) to include the (translated)
> >> html when running make dist.
> >
> > Something like that... only maybe better might be to -- as you say
> > -- have all the docs in one git repo, but still distribute them in
> > each app module as we do today.  Should be simple to do with git
> > submodules, right?  That way people who want to improve the docs
> > only need to look at one module, but the docs still end up in each
> > individual module for distribution.
>
> The advantage of a hook is that we also have all the translations in
> the docs package and keep them there (if we're going to use docbook
> xml2po kinda stuff, bit harder to write but easier for translators to
> track changes). I'm not sure, but I think if we merge all the doc
> translations, a lot of duplicated strings will show up, which makes it
> easier for translators.

I'm against too complex hooks. I also have the feeling that the good
old gettext translation method is not really suited for continuous
text. IMHO the little syntax overhead you have with reST makes .po
files almost pointless.

I also doubt that we'd end up with more than just a few duplicate
strings.

  - Jannis