xfce4-power-manager and battery settings

Ali Abdallah aliov at xfce.org
Fri Mar 20 17:35:35 CET 2009

Liviu Andronic wrote:
> 2009/3/19 Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at debian.org>:
>
>> Basically suspend is useless (it'll run out of bat anyway). I guess that
>> might be the reason.

Yes right suspend is not a good idea if the system power state is critical.

> Suspend would stop "any" battery consumption, and would avoid a "hard"
> system halt. I would regard Suspend as a "hard"-style notification
> that would definitely prompt user to plug it in, and would be a good
> step toward avoding data-loss. Hibernate goes too far in trying to
> halt battery consumption, and Shutdown seems like the "lose your data"
> option.
> It would probably make sense to have Suspend in the list.
> Liviu

Shutdown means losing your current working state, yes, but preventing
from damaging data.

In suspend mode the computer is still using power, it is just the lowest
power consumption the computer can use, it happened for me once in an
evening, i lost my system state when i suspended the computer while my
battery was about 20%, then too much (French) wine prevented me from
plugging-in my AC adapter, so my conclusion here is suspend is bad if
you like French wine :) .

Anyway HybridSuspend will be most likely added in the future version.

Have a nice evening.

Best Regards,
Ali.