some quick notes on xfce4-power-manager 0.6.4

Jari Rahkonen jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi
Tue Mar 10 19:43:55 CET 2009

Ali Abdallah kirjoitti:
> Mike Massonnet wrote:
>> Le Tue, 10 Mar 2009 18:30:54 +0100,
>> Ali Abdallah <aliov at xfce.org> a écrit :

>>> Just for information, the current development version of gtk+
>>> provides button-press-event and button-release-event.
>>>

>> Aha, nice. This does leave room in for middle clicks! Still, question
>> is, what should you display on activate signal.
>>
>> Jarno suggests a menu, but for how many items? only preferences... well
>> then you can display it directly imho. You could add several common menu
>> items instead, and drop the less common menu items from the right click
>> menu context.

Jarno? Close enough I guess. :) In any case, as I admitted to Auke in an
earlier mail, a different menu depending on which mouse button the user
clicks might indeed be confusing and inconsistent. I should have thought
about this before making the suggestion.

> Yes nice, but i'm not going to depend on gtk 2.16 for that, just for
> future enhancements.
>
>> As of my first use of the pm, I was disoriented that a click didn't do
>> anything, so I right clicked it and... well I chosen to open the
>> preferences dialog.
>>

> I'll add something here no the "activate" signals, probably information
> about the current status and/or the settings dialog.

My vote goes for battery status rather than the settings dialog if you
feel something needs to pop up, but I'm sure I've made that clear by now. :)

- Jari