[Debian] Xfce 4.6 on experimental

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Tue Mar 10 13:33:32 CET 2009

On mar, 2009-03-10 at 14:02 +0200, Michele Renda wrote:
> Hello to all

Hi,

I'm (one of) the Debian Xfce maintainer.

> I start asking to apologize me if I do a too much stupid question :)

You can find some informations on my blog:
http://www.corsac.net/index.php?rub=blog&post=1441

> I am currently checking on:
> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=xfce4-panel&searchon=names&suite=experimental&section=all
>
> the availability of XFCE 4.6 for Debian.  I know xfce 4.6 is in
> experimental.

Not yet. Some packages are still waiting in NEW: libxfce4menu, xfconf
and xfce4-settings, which are *core* components.

>  I saw the architecture, and it is amd64 only.

Experimental is much less autobuilt than unstable so that explains why
only amd64 is available (those are the packages I built and uploaded
myself).

>  There is
> another repository (not official) from where I can install xfce for
> i386? It will take time before xfce 4.6 will be coss-compiled for i386 ?

Some packages may appear in i386 when they'll be built, but until
packages aren't out of NEW, you won't be able to install them.

Basically, all you need is to wait. I'm not providing those packages
from my own repository because I don't want to provide multiple packages
from multiple sources, for consistency. I may reconsider this decision
if packages really take time to leave NEW/

> Is something I can do?

Not really, besides wait.

I may write a blog post to summarize what I said here.
--
Yves-Alexis