no "settings" menu entry when right clicking on the desktop

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at xfce.org
Tue Mar 3 15:31:25 CET 2009

Le Tue, 3 Mar 2009 07:04:04 +0100,
Oliver Lehmann <lehmann at ans-netz.de> a écrit :

> Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>
> > Mike Massonnet wrote:
> >

> > > How did you install xfdesktop?
> >

> ./configure --enable-thunar-vfs --enable-thunarx --enable-exo
>  --prefix=/usr/local --mandir=/usr/local/man
>  --infodir=/usr/local/info/ --build=amd64-portbld-freebsd7.1
>
> This was the correct one.
>
> So what  you are all trying to tell me is probably that I should
> install libxfce4menu _before_ installing xfce4-desktop.

Yes, good deduction.

> Why is
> xfce4-desktop not enforcing this?

Because it can build without it. At the end of the configure script
execution it prints what it will build and what it won't build -- as
most of other applications. So basically, if you build yourself, take
care :-) There is a dep list on the website, but this has to be
searched etc.

> I mean I read README now and it is
> optional for the application menu - but how do I configure xfce
> easily without having this application menu? So I guess it is not
> that much "optional" or?

Just like what Samuel said, drop a launcher in the panel, btw the
command is xfce4-settings-manager. Or browse with Thunar
to /usr/share/applications.

Mike