git commit mail script

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Mon Jun 22 15:44:52 CEST 2009

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 14:45:57 +0200
Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Jannis Pohlmann<jannis at xfce.org>
> wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > I have a commit mail script working. It's run at the update stage
> > and sends
> >
> >  - one mail per commit
> >  - one mail per newly created branch
> >  - one mail per created tag (git push --tags)
> >
> > this also means that if we merge two branches and don't use "git
> > merge --squash <source branch>", we may up with a lot of commit
> > mails for the merge destination branch. Not sure whether that's a
> > good or bad thing. I mean, it sounds kinda logical to me.
> >
> > It also has another downside: It seems mails are sent with a
> > granularity of one second. So if you send two mails in the same
> > second, mail clients don't know in what order to display them. As a
> > consequence, the script requires a 1s timeout between the individual
> > mails.
>
> And why do we care? Don't we have gitosis and git-log for
> understanding the commit-order?

It's important. Some people might be prefer the web frontend but for us
developers following the changes others make is important. You don't
want to pull all the commit information from the web frontend day by
day just to see if someone changed something. You want to be notified.
And you want the notification to work properly. If the order is screwed
up, you'll be annoyed every day and I clearly don't want that ;)

  - Jannis