Repost: Thunar update

Landry Breuil landry.breuil at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 13:34:34 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Jannis Pohlmann<jannis at xfce.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 18:33:37 -0700
> Josh Saddler <nightmorph at gentoo.org> wrote:

<snip>

>> Disagree. gnome-keyring is not useful for all of us, especially those
>> of us who, like me, do not want any trace of Gnome on their systems.
>> Having gnome-keyring pulls in lots of Gnome dependencies, which means
>> a lot of bloatware I have to compile and install, and then not use at
>> all . . . as I don't have encrypted volumes.
>
> gnome-keyring is required by GVfs for the password management stuff
> (e.g. SSH or FTP credentials). That's not going to change and if you
> want to be able to browse SSH, you will have to install it. Maybe we
> can encourage maintainers to make gnome-keyring drop its GNOME
> dependencies.
>
> gnome-keyring only depends on GConf, libgcrypt, libtasn1, PAM, HAL and
> D-Bus. So the only problem here is GConf.

On this single topic, i had a quick look at gnome-keyring daemon source.
It only depends on gconf for the daemon, and it stores only TWO keys there:
whether ssh-agent component is enabled, and whether pkcs#11 component
is enabled.
The only src file which includes gconf headers is ./daemon/gkr-daemon.c,
so imo it's quite easy to patch gnome-keyring to set sane defaults for these
values, and DROP the gconf dep (well, make it optional).
Cooking a patch for that is quite easy, making it integrated upstream might be
harder.

Any takers ? :)

Landry