Style guide like dokument

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Mon Jun 8 00:05:43 CEST 2009

On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 23:53:21 +0200
Bo Lorentsen <bl at lue.dk> wrote:

> Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> > It's generally a good advise to use the GNOME HIG as a reference
> > point.
> >
> > We're using smaller margins here and there and make extensive use of
> > XfceHeading/XfceTitledDialog in our applications, which gives the
> > whole thing a bit of a different look.
> >
> It would be nice to see some of this written in the same form (as a
> start) as the panel plugin.
>
> I would be nice with some guide lines for :
>
> * Spacing
> * Use of buttons
> * When to use XcfeWindow and dialogs
> * How and when to interact session manager
> * Minimum drag&drop
> * When to use notification
> * When and how to make a setting entry
>
> Just for a start. Not that I like a lot of strange rules, but I likes
> to have some rules for my self, and I would like for Xfce to be more
> homogenized, in its look and feel.

Agreed. Originally, I had planned to have a HIG checklist (just a
simple .txt file with "[ ]" and "[x]" style checkboxes) that we could
put into each component. The maintainer could then go through this
checklist before releases to update it and see what could be improved.

I had this file almost ready ... but now I can't find it anymore. Will
have to look into that again to put it up on the wiki for people to
finish/improve it.

  - Jannis