panel and xfconf

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 09:45:13 CEST 2009

2009/7/27 Mike Massonnet <mmassonnet at gmail.com>:
> 2009/7/27 Bo Lorentsen <bl at lue.dk>:
>> Mike Massonnet wrote:
>>>
>>> The rc like functions are exposed to panel plugins, and there is good
>>> reason to not drop these functions because many plugins use them and
>>> will continue to use them probably. The internal configuration of the
>>> panel uses Xfconf already,

...but only in the git branch. Panel in trunk still uses its own xml
parser for the panel config and rc files for the plugins.

>>> if panel plugin writters wish to use Xfconf
>>> to store settings they can, and for that they will have to include and
>>> depend on libxfconf.
>>
>> Ok, thanks ... that makes sense. So the rc files remain an relevant method
>> for storing panel config in all future, and will not event become deprecated
>> ?
>
> RC file style will always be around, I guess. Nick may have another
> opinion on that maybe.

They are only helper functions for xfcerc, so you can use them also
for for example gkeyfile too. Like xfconf, the panel library does not
depend on xfcerc, so it won't be deprecated.

Nick