Release manager feeds

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sun Jul 26 02:44:16 CEST 2009

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:14:47 -0700
"Brian J. Tarricone" <brian at tarricone.org> wrote:

> On 07/24/2009 10:13 AM, Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 02:32:56 -0700

> >> Agreed.
> >
> > While it's important to know what has changed, I kinda lean towards
> > thinking that it's more important to know what has been released and
> > where you can grab it before being confronted with long changelogs,
> > contributors and whatnot.
>
> Yeah, agreed on that too.
>
> Would it add too much complexity to have extra fields on the release
> page for that?  So instead of one box to enter all the custom text,
> you have a "release info" box, and a "changelog/release notes" box.

I'm not sure what the difference between release info and release notes
are. If we enforce a certain structure it should be very clear.

Oh, AFAIR, someone asked for some kind of announcement preview, so I
rewrote the release process code. After selecting which branch/cycle
the release belongs to, you'll now have to go through these four steps:

  Project and user information reminder:
  http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/screenshots/xfce/moka/moka-20090726-1.png

  Tarball upload (if you want to upload a tarball but do no
  announcement, you can stop after this one ... a hidden feature!!!!):
  http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/screenshots/xfce/moka/moka-20090726-2.png

  Announcement form:
  http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/screenshots/xfce/moka/moka-20090726-3.png

  Confirmation form with announcement previews:
  http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/screenshots/xfce/moka/moka-20090726-4.png

It needs a bit more polishing and I'll probably split up uploading a
tarball and announcing a release into completely different things but I
quite like it already.

  - Jannis