new panel

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Sun Jul 26 01:43:26 CEST 2009

Hey Nick,

Finally got around to installing the new panel from git.  Looks pretty
cool.  A couple weird problems though:

1.  I started it the first time, and I got an empty panel.  Ok, cool.  I
killed it with ctrl+c from the terminal I started it in, and then
restarted it.  Uh-oh, no panel at all now.  So I run "xfce4-panel -p" to
get the prefs dialog, and it shows "Panel 1", but there's still no panel
on the screen.  I add a new panel and that shows up, with a red-dashed
outline on it.  But no Panel 1, even if I switch back.

2.  Whenever I add something to the panel I get this on console:

(xfce4-panel:18042): libxfce4panel-CRITICAL **:
xfce_panel_plugin_get_unique_id: assertion
`XFCE_PANEL_PLUGIN_CONSTRUCTED (plugin)' failed

Is that a problem?

3.  You appear to have incompatibly changed the API of libxfce4panel.
That's fine, but it would be nice if you'd change the library name
(libxfce4panel-1.0.pc -> libxfce4panel-2.0.pc; libxfce4panel.so ->
libxfce4panel-2.0.so; $(includedir)/xfce4/libxfce4panel-1.0 ->
$(includedir)/xfce4/libxfce4panel-2.0) as well so they're installable in
parallel.  (I have to install it to a new prefix now because none of the
other xfce stuff with panel plugins will compile against it.)

4.  Launcher plugin doesn't allow adding arbitrary commands, only apps
that have .desktop files.  Is that intentional?

5.  A little usability note for the prefs dialog.  Using "Size" and
"Length" might be a little confusing.  It would be better to just use
"Height" and "Width" and swap their positions (and px vs. % meaning)
when the orientation of the panel is changed.

Otherwise it looks pretty cool!  I love how there's a list of active
plugins in the prefs pane, and how you can manipulate it there.  The
extra "Xfce Panel" submenu on panel item context menus is really useful
and long overdue.

	-brian