Release manager feeds

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Fri Jul 24 19:13:50 CEST 2009

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 02:32:56 -0700
"Brian J. Tarricone" <brian at tarricone.org> wrote:

> On 07/23/2009 11:16 PM, David Mohr wrote:
> >
> > So in particular:
> > - The user submitted message should go first, not the checksums
>
> Agreed.

While it's important to know what has changed, I kinda lean towards
thinking that it's more important to know what has been released and
where you can grab it before being confronted with long changelogs,
contributors and whatnot.

I decided to implement Mike's suggestion of a short project description
and change the format to what you can see at the very bottom of this
mail. The format is a little different for Xfce releases but we can
discuss that again later.

> > - Mirrors should not be listed individually, as they are at
> > announcement time most likely not in sync yet.

See below.

> As much as I hate to suggest it, we probably should only include
> mocha in the initial announcement.  Maybe Auke can set up a
> 'main.xfce.org' or 'archive.xfce.org' alias for mocha as well so we
> aren't using the machine's internal hostname in public announcements.

Agreed. Auke has set up a DNS entry for archive.xfce.org, so now all
releases are also available via http://archive.xfce.org/. As a
consequence, mailinglist announcements for project releases will now
point to that location without exposing the hostname. Other mirrors
will not be listed (only for Xfce releases, but that's another story).

> > - Don't provide a link to the directory, rather to the newly
> > released file directly
>
> Yes, there's really no reason to link to the directory.  After we
> support gpg signatures, we should provide a direct link to the .asc
> file as well as a direct link to the download.

This is the format I've now implemented:

  thunar 1.2.0 is now available for download from

    http://archive.xfce.org/src/xfce/thunar/1.2/thunar-1.2.0.tar.bz2
    http://archive.xfce.org/src/xfce/thunar/1.2/thunar-1.2.0.tar.bz2.md5
    http://archive.xfce.org/src/xfce/thunar/1.2/thunar-1.2.0.tar.bz2.sha1

    SHA1 checksum: 30cefd18daca56b0907f2c2d3699700c56458b0c
     MD5 checksum: d76fff5d8871d8877cf7b906c0fe58d4

  What's thunar?
  ==============

  Thunar is a modern and easy-to-use file manager for the Xfce desktop
  environment.

  Website:
    http://thunar.xfce.org/

  What's new in 1.2.0?

  Here comes the custom announcement message, ideally listing the
  changes, bugfixes and contributors for the release.

The checksums are are bit redundant but I thought it would be nice for
people who don't want to download the extra checksum files.

I'll try to implement a preview for this in the release manager so that
you'll actually see the message before it is sent and can change it
when you made a mistake. Is that fine with everyone?

  - Jannis