Release manager feeds

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Fri Jul 24 13:51:50 CEST 2009

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 00:16:48 -0600
David Mohr <squisher at xfce.org> wrote:

> [...]
>   http://www.ca-us.xfce.org/archive/src/apps/xfburn/0.4
>
> Hi everyone,
> I'm pleased to announce a new xfburn release. Version 0.4.2 fixes a
> number of bugs, mainly for audio CD, drag and drop, and file browser
> issues. Additionally, to restore the balance of all things, some
> internals were rewritten. As always, please report any bugs, and
> thanks to all the translators.
>
> Happy burning!
>    David
>
> Detailed changes:
> - Internal updates in preparation for better handling of disc
> detection
> - Handle drag and drop of filenames with spaces from thunar (closes
> #4992)
> - Insert dragged file dropped on top of another file instead of
> crashing
>   (closes #5299)
> - Properly detect the available space on an audio CD (closes #5302)
> - Track ownership of tracks in compositions correctly (closes #5303)
> - Resample audio files with gstreamer if necessary (closes #5304)
> - Show symbolic links in the file browser (closes #5430)
> - Implement the "show hidden files" option (closes #5500)
> ---snap---
>
> Personally I'd rather see a message like:
> ----snip----
> xfburn 0.4.2 released
> 07/23/2009 11:55 PM
>
> Hi everyone,
> I'm pleased to announce a new xfburn release. Version 0.4.2 fixes a
> number of bugs, mainly for audio CD, drag and drop, and file browser
> issues. Additionally, to restore the balance of all things, some
> internals were rewritten. As always, please report any bugs, and
> thanks to all the translators.
>
> Happy burning!
>    David
>
> Detailed changes:
> - Internal updates in preparation for better handling of disc
> detection
> - Handle drag and drop of filenames with spaces from thunar (closes
> #4992)
> - Insert dragged file dropped on top of another file instead of
> crashing
>   (closes #5299)
> - Properly detect the available space on an audio CD (closes #5302)
> - Track ownership of tracks in compositions correctly (closes #5303)
> - Resample audio files with gstreamer if necessary (closes #5304)
> - Show symbolic links in the file browser (closes #5430)
> - Implement the "show hidden files" option (closes #5500)
>
> xfburn 0.4.2 is now available for download as
>
>   xfburn-0.4.2.tar.bz2
>
>   SHA1 checksum: dbc1731b8c690b0b29d3567b8e1cd93646b0c7e7
>    MD5 checksum: 67533208e2f487bdf6c779cfedae809d
>
> from:
>
>   http://www.xfce.org/archive/src/apps/xfburn/0.4/xfburn-0.4.2.tar.bz2
> ---snap---
>
> So in particular:
> - The user submitted message should go first, not the checksums

The current format roughly follows the format of GTK+ announcements,
which I find very clean. IMHO the download and version information is
most important and should go on top. It just has to be made more clear
that there's little point in starting your message with "Hey," or
something like that. Of course you can argue about that and I'd be fine
to change the format if everyone else thinks different.

We're currently missing a project website link in the mail
announcements, I'll add that.

> - Mirrors should not be listed individually, as they are at
> announcement time most likely not in sync yet. IMHO people should
> always use the www round robin (or whatever it is).

True. I guess for individual project releases its ok to point to mocha
only. What about Xfce releases though? Should we split the release
process up into two seperate independent forms (1. pick individual
releases from projects and 2. send announcements)? It's important not
to list mocha only for those because that defeats the point of our
mirrors.

> - Don't provide a link to the directory, rather to the newly released
> file directly

I didn't want to break the 72 columns per line rule, so I've split the
URLs up into filename and download directory. No strong feelings about
this one.

> - I'm still waiting for the email announcement, but that might as well
> be the mail servers...

The release manager uses the address david at mcbf.net for sending
announcements. If you're not subscribed to lists with this address it
won't work. Do you want me to change the address? (Guess I'll have to
provide a way to let people edit that ...)

identi.ca/xfce doesn't have your release either ... doh.

  - Jannis