emblems api

Peter de Ridder peter at xfce.org
Wed Jul 22 18:42:49 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Nick Schermer<nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:
> For ThunarxFileInfoIface we only need to add a virtual method void
> (*add_emblem) (ThunarxFileInfo *file_info, const gchar *emblem_name);
> including a function thunarx_file_info_add_emblem(), maybe a
> remove_emblem call too, that probably makes sense for the vcs plugin.

I would agree to a thunarx api since other desktop environment would
implement this plugin related stuff there way.
You "specify" an api to set/unset emblems to a file, this would be
sufficient for a plugin like vcs plugin. But, especially, for the vcs
plugin this would mean it needs to listen to all file changes to see
if a file has changed and emblems need updating.
Would a provider plugin api, more like how the context menu works, be
a better choice? A thunarx-emblem-provider to query a plugin about the
emblems in the current view, since emblems are only interesting when
viewed.
Another option would be to emit signal to a plugin about which
directory is currently viewed so it can update visual information
about that directory (emblems and maybe other info too), this could
use add_emblem, remove_emblem without a file change listener.

> I have no idea if thunar looks in the xdg emblems folder, but that's a
> separate issue, another DBus service is really too much for something
> like this IMHO.

This would be more a freedesktop related issue.
And for now there are no specs about adding a emblem to a file.
We could leave this out of this thread, if we're discussing option 3.

p.s. This is my seccond reply to this mail, but i think my mail was
dropped for using the wrong email address.
Please forgive me if you received both mails.

Kind regards,
Peter