Release manager webapp and archive reorganization

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Fri Jul 17 20:14:20 CEST 2009

Hey all,

we've discussed a possible archive reorganization before. I'd like to
get back to this in a second.

Moka
====

First of all, I have a new project to announce: Moka (name originating
from stove top espresso makers), a new release manager web application.

Moka is written in Ruby, using technologies like Sinatra, Rack, Sass
and JSON. It provides a powerful web interface for managing releases.
Here are some of the key features:

Project releases:
  With Moka, you can perform releases of projects like xfce4-panel,
  Thunar, xfce4-screenshooter or xfce4-notes-plugin simply by uploading
  a tarball together with a checksum and a release announcement. Moka
  will optionally announce the release on a variable set of
  mailinglists and on identi.ca/xfce, the official Xfce account I
  recently created. Another planned feature are public RSS feeds.

Project classifications:
  Projects can be classified. E.g. Thunar is classified as 'xfce',
  Terminal is classified as 'apps', xfce4-notes-plugin is classified as
  'panel-plugins'. This is helpful to improve the download archive
  layout and to sync it with the git and bugzilla layouts. Projects can
  be moved between classifications with two or three clicks.

Collection releases:
  Let's say we want to release Xfce 4.6.2. With Moka, all you have to
  do is click a button and select the project versions you want to
  include from a list featuring all available projects. As with
  projects, you'll be able to send announcements to mailing lists
  identi.ca/xfce and update RSS feeds. Moka will create the necessary
  folders and links for the included project versions inside the
  download archive.

Here are a couple of screenshots (some a bit outdated) of how this
looks like:

  Front page:
  http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/screenshots/xfce/moka-20090717-1.png

  Project overview (without collections here):
  http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/screenshots/xfce/moka-20090717-2.png

  (Old) project and collection overview:
  http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/screenshots/xfce/release-manager-20090716-6.png

  Collection release page:
  http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/screenshots/xfce/release-manager-20090716-9.png

  Project page:
  http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/screenshots/xfce/moka-20090717-3.png

  Update project release:
  http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/screenshots/xfce/moka-20090717-4.png

  Delete project release:
  http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/screenshots/xfce/moka-20090717-5.png

  Perform new project release:
  http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/screenshots/xfce/moka-20090717-6.png

I'm still working on it but the only thing missing are RSS feeds
and, partially, collections. I'll have it ready by the end of the
weekend. The code is available on http://git.xfce.org/jannis/moka/.

What do you guys think?

Archive reorganization
======================

With Moka being almost ready, I'd like to propose a new download
archive layout again. Moka is very flexible with regards to this, but
IMHO this would be the best layout decisions:

  /xfce
    4.4.0/
      fat_tarballs/
      src/
      installers/
    4.6.0/
      fat_tarballs/
      src/
      installers/
    4.6.1/
  /src
    xfce/
      exo/
        0.3/
          exo-0.3.100.tar.bz2
          exo-0.3.101.tar.bz2
        0.4/
          exo-0.4.0.tar.bz2
      xfwm4/
        4.6/
          xfwm4-4.6.0.tar.bz2
          xfwm4-4.6.1.tar.bz2
        4.7/
   apps/
     terminal/
        0.2/
        0.3/
    libs/
      garcon/
        0.1/
        0.2/
    panel-plugins/
      xfce4-notes-plugin/
        0.1/

Any thoughts? If there are no objections, I'll reorganize the archive
this way as soon as Moka is ready for production use.

Cheers,
Jannis