Ristretto 1.0 - Functional Requirements (1/3)

Thu Jul 9 11:50:03 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 11:40 PM, Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Stephan Arts<stephan at xfce.org> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > After a couple of years of development, I am getting tired of the
> > ad-hoc hacker style development model I have been using for ristretto.
> > This development model was the cause of several issues which were not
> > easy to solve.
> >
> >  - Returning bugs (memory usage, thumbnails, slow UI)
> >  - Constant rewrites whenever a new feature was being worked on
> >  - and a few other things...
> >
> > When this keeps happening, the fun of coding tends to go away...
> >
> > To prevent that stuff from happening again, I have decided to first
> > put up a decent specification of what Ristretto should do and how it
> > should look like(1/3), then actually make a proper design based on
> > those specifications(2/3) and finally start coding (3/3).
> >
> > You can find a mockup of the functional specification document for
> > Ristretto 1.0 on the wiki[0].
> >
> > I would like you all to look at the specification, and if you have any
> > suggestions on features and functionality, please post them on this
> > list. Then we can discuss the direction that the development of
> > Ristretto is going to take.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Stephan Arts
> >

> > [0] http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/fsd/ristretto/1.0
> >

> I have modified the wiki-page based on your feedback.
>
> It's now ready for round 2, if anything is not (clearly) described,
> does not resemble the english language or you think it is wrong or
> missing, please proposed fix.
>
> So far, I think we have done a good job getting the functional
> specifications straight and the page is more complete as it was
> before.

Ah, here's one little annoyance I have with the current Ristretto: that
scrolling zooms in/out instead of, well, scrolling. When I've zoomed in on
an image (especially with portrait-oriented images) I want to scroll to be
able to see different parts of the image, but then it currently zooms in. I
mostly expect zooming in to happen when I Ctrl+Scroll or Ctrl and the +/-
keys, like in most other applications (like Thunar).

I also think that would be a good default - if the user really expects the
image to zoom when he scrolls and instead it just moves the image up and
down, it's far less annoying than when it would be the other way around,
because panning the image takes far less time than zooming in or out.

Then a thing about keyboard navigation: how can you navigate through images
using the keyboard? Can you just use the arrow keys, do you need to use them
in combination with another key, and if so, can you use the arrow keys when
the thumbnail bar is focused? Also, can there be a scrollbar on the
thumbnail bar this time, so you can see thumbnails of images further away
without needing to click and drag, which is a bit undiscoverable?

Oh, and will Tumbler be used for the thumbnails? ;-)

Anyway, looking good, this is the first time I'm actually looking forward to
an image viewer :)

> Kind regards,
> Stephan

Thanks,