plans for xfconf, lockdown

walking2go at gmx.net walking2go at gmx.net
Wed Jul 8 22:40:31 CEST 2009

Hi,
I'm not a developer but I wanted to know something about your (the developers) plans about the lockdown/kiosk-mode problem.

As far as I saw there are still two different ways of locking: the "old" kiosrc method and the new xfconf method (editing the xml files in /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/ as superuser).
First, the editing method is a little annoying (edit those files as superuser, then log in as the 'restricted' user to test if the changes effect anything, go back to superuser, etc...) - are the plannings for developing a "better" backend to easily edit those files?
Then, it would be great if other components (like thunar, xfce4-panel, etc.) could be accessable through xfconf, too. What are your plannings about that?
And last (maybe it should be first): The documentations for xfconf are very "lousy". When will them be fixed?

My last question (has nothing to do with your developing-plans, but myabe you know it): what's the difference in xubuntu between the files in /etc/xdg/xfce4 and /etc/xdg/xubuntu/xfce4 ? Which files does xfce under xubuntu use for what purpose?

Thanks.