Xfce development and release model

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Tue Jul 7 12:49:10 CEST 2009

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 11:15:01 +0200
Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:

> To bring this up again... I'd like to release a 0.3 alpha version of
> the terminal somewhere at the end of this week. The question is,
> should I treat the Terminal as part of the goodies or core components?
>
> Until now there has been a release of the terminal together with the
> Xfce releases and the new release policy allows development releases
> during the dev. phase, but how? Where do I upload the tarballs if it's
> a core component?

You are free to release it independently of the rest of Xfce. It's true
though that we don't have a plan on how to organize the release
archives yet. Did we decide anything on the goodie/core status of
Terminal by the way? I think Brian listed it as a goodie in his git
repository structure proposal.

Releasing it as a goodie would be the least painful way at this point
because the infrastructure for that is in place. But we will soon need
reorganize the release archive because I'm planning to release tumbler
and probably garcon (aka libxfce4menu) later this summer, and those are
definitely not goodies.

Basically, instead of the current

  /xfce-4.4.0
    src/
    fat_tarballs/
    installers/
  /xfce-4.6.0
    src/
    fat_tarballs/
    installers/
  /xfce-4.6.1
    src/
    fat_tarballs/
    installers/

I could imagine using the same layout as for the git repositories:

  /xfce
    exo/
      0.3/
        exo-0.3.100.tar.bz2
        exo-0.3.101.tar.bz2
      0.4/
        exo-0.4.0.tar.bz2
    xfwm4/
      4.6/
        xfwm4-4.6.0.tar.bz2
        xfwm4-4.6.1.tar.bz2
      4.7/
        xfwm4-4.7.0.tar.bz2
  /goodies
    terminal/
      0.2/
  /libs
    garcon/
      0.1/
      0.2/

Then the question is: what to do with Xfce group releases? GNOME does
something like this:

  /gnome (well, they have it split up into bindings/, platform/ etc.)
    2.26.0/
      sources/
        <all tarballs of the release are in here>
    2.26.1/
      sources/
        <all tarballs of the release are in here>
  /sources
    GConf/
      0.1/
        <tarballs>
      0.2/
        <tarballs>
    nautilus/

We could do something similar and use:

  /xfce
    4.4.0/
      fat_tarballs/
      src/
      installers/
    4.6.0/
      fat_tarballs/
      src/
      installers/
    4.6.1/
  /src
    xfce/
      exo/
        0.3/
          exo-0.3.100.tar.bz2
          exo-0.3.101.tar.bz2
        0.4/
          exo-0.4.0.tar.bz2
      xfwm4/
        4.6/
          xfwm4-4.6.0.tar.bz2
          xfwm4-4.6.1.tar.bz2
        4.7/
   goodies/
     terminal/
        0.2/
        0.3/
    libs/
      garcon/
        0.1/
        0.2/

We can already do this NOW (together with updating the website) and
have someone upload tarballs manually until we have something similar
to the goodies release manager.

Toughts?

  - Jannis