Libxfce4ui api review

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 11:59:09 CEST 2009

2009/7/7 Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com>:
> 2009/7/7 Brian J. Tarricone <brian at tarricone.org>:
>> EggSMClient itself is pretty well done and even has non-unix support (not
>> that that's entirely useful for the Xfce core desktop).  As much as I don't
>> want to create a new libnetk, it might make sense to base work on our
>> session client on EggSMClient.  Or maybe just import it as-is. Or maybe even
>> just bite the bullet and copy the sources into the core Xfce apps that use
>> it, and don't have a session client at all.  That way we could just wait for
>> gtk to have one.
>
> We could add a libxfce4ui-session-private library (loooong name) using
> eggsmclient so the code is in a central place, then we can drop it at
> any time without having an api break.

Looked a bit through eggsm and I think we should use it, looks clean
and contains everything we need. Put it a private library named
libxfce4smclient-private (like libxfce4kbd-private) with the xsmp (and
maybe osx) backend. Make sure it works with xfce4-session and then sit
and wait what gtk+ is going to do.
Hopefully others agree with this. IMHO we simply don't think we have
the resources (and are in the position) of re-thinking the whole sm
backend.

Nick