Merging migration-to-gio into Thunar trunk

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Mon Jul 6 14:55:46 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 10:04:22 +0200
Mike Massonnet <mmassonnet at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/7/2 Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com>:
> > 2009/7/1 Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org>:
> >> What do you think?
> >
> > Good idea. Give it some attention for bug fixing. There are probably
> > some other things to cleanup beside the gio migration and it is more
> > convenient to do that once gio landed in trunk.
>
> There are many things people don't run from trunk. If you want wider
> attention, provide a release ;)

I decided it's not ready for trunk yet. The main reason is that there
still are a few regressions:

  - replacements for the current thumbnailers are missing. Basically,
    what we need are tumbler plugins for fast JPEG thumbnails based on
    EXIF data and libjpeg, font thumbnails and a wrapper plugin for
    ThunarVFS thumbnailer scripts.

  - Trash and volume management are currently not possible without
    GVfs. Of course we could say "just install GVfs then!" but I'd like
    to have about the same functionality as before *without* too many
    new dependencies. I'll have to investigate how complicated it would
    be to turn Thunar's trash implementation into a GIO backend. Work
    on a GIO volume monitor extension based on DeviceKit-disks has
    already begun on http://git.xfce.org/jannis/thunar-volume-monitor/.

There are a few more which are less important but still kinda crucial,
so for now the branch will not be merged into trunk.

  - Jannis