Ristretto 1.0 - Functional Requirements (1/3)

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sun Jul 5 01:04:42 CEST 2009

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 00:52:54 +0200
Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org> wrote:

> > On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> After a couple of years of development, I am getting tired of the
> >> ad-hoc hacker style development model I have been using for
> >> ristretto. This development model was the cause of several issues
> >> which were not easy to solve.
> >>
> >>  - Returning bugs (memory usage, thumbnails, slow UI)
> >>  - Constant rewrites whenever a new feature was being worked on
> >>  - and a few other things...
> >>
> >> When this keeps happening, the fun of coding tends to go away...
> >>
> >> To prevent that stuff from happening again, I have decided to first
> >> put up a decent specification of what Ristretto should do and how
> >> it should look like(1/3), then actually make a proper design based
> >> on those specifications(2/3) and finally start coding (3/3).
> >>
> >> You can find a mockup of the functional specification document for
> >> Ristretto 1.0 on the wiki[0].
> >>
> >> I would like you all to look at the specification, and if you have
> >> any suggestions on features and functionality, please post them on
> >> this list. Then we can discuss the direction that the development
> >> of Ristretto is going to take.
> >>
> >> Kind regards,
> >> Stephan Arts
> >>

> >> [0] http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/fsd/ristretto/1.0
> >

> > Well... If you are allowing the user to rotate the image himself,
> > then that already is a form of editing, just without saving the
> > edits. Perhaps it would be less confusing if you also provided the
> > user with the option to save the rotation, warn the user that his
> > changes *aren't* saved, or disallow manual rotation in general (I
> > don't think this is a good option, of course, but as the
> > alternative does entail editing, I'd say that you might as well let
> > the user save those edits).
>
> I disagree, rotation just changes the way the image is displayed. When
> I place a printed photo on my desk, and I rotate it, nothing really
> changes to the image. I just look at it differently.

While that is true, you often rotate for a reason: because the original
angle felt (or actually *was*) wrong. And in most situations you'll
feel the urge to correct this again and again whenever you browse to
that image. Thinking about my own behaviour I can say that I'd almost
always want to save the image after a manual rotation.

  - Jannis