Ristretto 1.0 - Functional Requirements (1/3)

Sat Jul 4 14:18:39 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> After a couple of years of development, I am getting tired of the
> ad-hoc hacker style development model I have been using for ristretto.
> This development model was the cause of several issues which were not
> easy to solve.
>
>  - Returning bugs (memory usage, thumbnails, slow UI)
>  - Constant rewrites whenever a new feature was being worked on
>  - and a few other things...
>
> When this keeps happening, the fun of coding tends to go away...
>
> To prevent that stuff from happening again, I have decided to first
> put up a decent specification of what Ristretto should do and how it
> should look like(1/3), then actually make a proper design based on
> those specifications(2/3) and finally start coding (3/3).
>
> You can find a mockup of the functional specification document for
> Ristretto 1.0 on the wiki[0].
>
> I would like you all to look at the specification, and if you have any
> suggestions on features and functionality, please post them on this
> list. Then we can discuss the direction that the development of
> Ristretto is going to take.
>
> Kind regards,
> Stephan Arts
>

> [0] http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/fsd/ristretto/1.0

Well... If you are allowing the user to rotate the image himself, then that
already is a form of editing, just without saving the edits. Perhaps it
would be less confusing if you also provided the user with the option to
save the rotation, warn the user that his changes *aren't* saved, or
disallow manual rotation in general (I don't think this is a good option, of
course, but as the alternative does entail editing, I'd say that you might
as well let the user save those edits).

Oh, and it'd be nice if the "Set as wallpaper" option is only available if
this is actually possible (i.e. xfdesktop is used).

And finally, perhaps it is confusing to put the navigation bar on the bottom
(with the left and right arrows) when the thumbnails are listed vertically
on the right (so clicking right will skip to the image below). Not sure if
that's how you designed it to look, but if it is, then that might not be a
good idea ;-)

Best,

--
Vincent