Xfce 4.6 RC1 going to be released this weekend

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sun Jan 25 14:35:16 CET 2009

Am Sun, 25 Jan 2009 12:25:50 +0000
schrieb Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com>:

> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org>
> wrote:
> > Am Sun, 25 Jan 2009 12:01:49 +0000
> > schrieb Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com>:
> >
> >> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org>
> >> wrote:
> >> > Hi Guys,
> >> >
> >> > Jannis and I have started on the release of Xfce 4.6 RC1
> >> > (Capybara)
> >> >
> >> > With 4.6.0 being scheduled prior to FOSDEM, we are going to
> >> > release RC1 this weekend to get some fixed segfaults and updated
> >> > translations out.
> >>
> >> That sounds  too short IMHO, ppl are just starting to report bugs
> >> against beta3... For xfwm4, I'd like to work a bit on #4524
> >
> > Didn't you suggest to skip beta3 and already go for rc1 two weeks
> > ago? ;)
> Yes, if it was me we would have 4.6 out already. But then we went with
> beta3 so let's make beta3 useful at least!
> > I can only repeat what I said to Brian yesterday when he said that
> > we'll look stupid if we do a release which still includes major
> > bugs. I think we'll look even more stupid if we delay the release
> > again and again, especially if we talk about 4.6 at FOSDEM.
> So we choose the worst of all, we release too fast with remaining bugs
> after having delayed to address those bugs... Humm, seems we miss our
> goal.

How would that have been different if we had chosen to go for rc1
instead of beta3 two weeks ago? We'd have released 4.6 even faster that
way. I mean, don't we all agree in that we want to have 4.6 out the
door as soon as possible, now that we've been struggling with the damn
release schedule for the last six months? 

Now, everyone knows that a bug-free release is unrealistic. Most of the
components haven't really changed since November and for those who have
been running it since beta2 it worked really well. 
Of course more testing would be cool, but personally, I'm slowly getting
tired of discussing the schedule again and again. Whenever we decide on a
new schedule and try to stick to that, someone raises concerns. Why not
worry less, let the beast off the rope and see how this turns out? I
think it's time to finally end this struggle. Even if 4.6 will not end
up to be the most stable Xfce release ever, it is in a faily good shape
today and everyone is going to be happy as soon as 4.6.0 hits the

I know we'll have to clean up a few things and fix a few bugs after the
release anyway, so releasing 4.6.1 maybe a month after 4.6.0 should be
fine. I'll also have a lot more time after FOSDEM than I have right
now, so I'll help where I can.

  - Jannis
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 197 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce4-dev/attachments/20090125/6583f2ae/attachment.pgp>

More information about the Xfce4-dev mailing list