4.6 installer: glade files installed to global prefix

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Mon Jan 19 17:44:19 CET 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 11:35:49 +0100, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org>
wrote:

>Am Sun, 18 Jan 2009 09:59:08 +0100
>schrieb Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
>
>> On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 04:35:49 +0100, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> G'Morning,
>>
>> >I just played with the installer a bit and created the necessary
>> >files to create an installer for 4.6. I did a test run, installing
>> >to /home/jannis/local as a normal user and I ran into a problem with
>> >the gladeui files. I don't have the log at hand right now, but I
>> >know that the build scripts tried to install stuff from
>> >libxfcegui4/glade/ into the gladeui prefix (/usr/share/glade3 or
>> >something).
>> >
>> >So, for the installer this is a bit problematic. A lot of people
>> >will try to run the installer as a normal user and if they happen
>> >to have libgladeui they will run into this problem. Any ideas how
>> >to fix that?
>>
>> I use the following ./configure options to build my Xfce
>> in /home/enrico/apps/xfce-svn:
>>
>> for libxfcegui4:
>> --with-libglade-module-path=$prefix/libglade/2.0/
>>
>> for xfce-utils:
>> --with-xsession-prefix=$prefix
>>
>> $prefix is:
>> prefix="/home/enrico/apps/xfce-svn"
>>
>> And to get the libxfce4gui stuff working when running, you need to
>> make the LIBGLADE_MODULE_PATH public, the following is a snippet from
>> my ~/.bashrc:
>>
>> # for libxfcegui4
>> export LIBGLADE_MODULE_PATH=/home/enrico/apps/xfce-svn/libglade/2.0/:
>> $LIBGLADE_MODULE_PATH
>
>It looks like this affects both, the gladeui as well as the normal
>glade stuff. Bad. I guess the installer won't work unless we find a
>platform-independent way to define $LIBGLADE_MODULE_PATH somewhere.
>
>.bashrc is not really an option because not everyone uses bash. We

Er, of course. I didn't intend to say the installer should do anything
with the user's .bashrc even if it exists. Just wanted to point out
that this environment variable is important to be set unless things
won't work.
Long time ago, when this code was added I already reported my problems
with this, because of this the --with-libglade-module-path exists at
all.
Ideally, the dialogs wouldn't depend on libglade nor on a Xfce specific
glade module and would be written by hand but yeah, I know using
libglade is way easier and more convenient, except for users.

>*could* add a 'gladedir' variable to libxfcegui4-1.0.pc and use
>
>  export LIBGLADE_MODULE_PATH="$LIBGLADE_MODULE_PATH \
>           `pkg-config --variable=gladedir libxfcegui4-1.0.pc`"
>
>in startxfce4 or the xinitrc script to define it. Any other ideas?

Hmm, couldn't add the installer this line to startxfce4 after
installing it? Still not that nice but maybe would work as long as it
is guaranteed that startxfce4 is executed when the user starts his
session.

Regards,
Enrico