Thunar fails to build with debug

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Sun Jan 18 20:20:30 CET 2009

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 20:13:04 +0100, David Gustafsson
<david.s.gustafsson at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 12:31 AM, Mike Massonnet
><mmassonnet at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Le Sat, 17 Jan 2009 23:29:36 +0100,
>> Mike Massonnet <mmassonnet at gmail.com> a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was building thunar and hit a warning.  Frankly I don't understand
>>> it, it's why I'm fowarding it here (and not as a bug as I don't
>>> experiment it on my other box except the glib versions).
>>                                                     are different
>>>
>>> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
>>> thunar-vfs-io-local.c: In function '_thunar_vfs_io_local_listdir':
>>> thunar-vfs-io-local.c:647: error: dereferencing type-punned pointer
>>> will break strict-aliasing rules thunar-vfs-io-local.c:686: error:
>>> dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
>>>
>>> It fails with the G_LOCK_* macros.
>>>
>>> This warning happens with glib-2.18.3.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Mike
>
>Hi,
>
>This also happens in libexo when compiling with debug. The problem is
>a known bug in glib[1].
>
>exo-mount-point.c: In function 'IA__exo_mount_point_list_matched':
>exo-mount-point.c:561: error: dereferencing type-punned pointer will
>break strict-aliasing rules
>exo-mount-point.c:575: error: dereferencing type-punned pointer will
>break strict-aliasing rules

-Werror just should never appear in any Makefiles, regardless of debug
builds or not.
You just cannot know which warnings a particular system will generate.
Developers who see any advantage in -Werror should specify it in their
personal CFLAGS environment variable but not in general purpose
Makefiles.

I personally don't see any use in -Werror as I can see compiler
warnings while compiling and so I have no need to break my compilation.
But that's just me :).

Regards,
Enrico