4.6.1 release process proposal

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 10:42:26 CET 2009

2009/1/16 Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu>:
> That pretty much defeats the main purpose of my proposal: take the
> burden off the release manager.  Yes, I know, now you say you'll do it,
> but when the time comes, will you actually have the time?  It's hard to
> say.  You've disappeared for a while before, I have... we all probably
> have at one time or another.

I don't see how building tarballs can be a burden. If you script this
a bit your pc is done somewhere in 15 ~ 30 minutes, while you sit and
drink coffee, same for tagging. But ok, if we do this together by
using Jannis' release thingy fine i can live with that. You've
convinced me.

The real thing that takes time is testing the whole thing, make sure
you don't release crap. For that reason I don't think a good testing
system is unrelated: I we _know_ trunk/branch dist-checks without
problems on various platforms, making a release is _a lot_ easier.

Nick