Xfce 4.6 BETA-3 (Tuco-Tuco) Released

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Jan 15 20:37:26 CET 2009

Kok, Auke wrote:
> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>> Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>>
>>> +#ifndef environ
>>> +extern char **environ;
>>> +#endif
 >>
>> Nuh-uh.  ifndef is almost certainly not what we want here.  Either use a
>> FreeBSD-specific check, or add a generic check to configure to see if it
>> needs to be declared or not.
>
> there should not be anything wrong with just adding an extern *without* the
> #ifdef....

Yeah, that's true.  A double-extern really isn't a big deal if it's
declared the same way in both places, and I wouldn't imagine environ to
ever be anything but a char**.  But I'd rather be safe.  You can do a
test for it in configure.ac in just a few lines.

> of course extern definitions should really live in header files.

Sadly environ is 'special' -- there's a long crappy history of it not
being declared in header files and needing to be declared manually.

	-brian