Transifex (was: Re: Working with branches after 4.6)

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun Feb 22 06:44:05 CET 2009

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 16:18:31 +0200 Dimitris Glezos wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Stavros Giannouris
> <stavrosg at hellug.gr> wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 15:03:01 -0800

> >> Actually, looking at it, transifex doesn't seem to solve this
> >> particular problem.  It still appears to require that all the
> >> individual translator contributors have login credentials to the
> >> source repository, which means we'd still have to set up
> >> fine-grained permissions for the git repos.  Not saying transifex
> >> isn't a good idea, but it doesn't solve any new problems with the
> >> git transition.
> >
> > No, the individual translators need login credentials for the
> > transifex interface only. The source repo needs to have only one
> > account for transifex, or that's my understanding of it.
>
> This is correct, Transifex only needs one SSH key to commit.

That's kinda worse, IMO.  Now we have every single person's commits
going through one committer account.  I guess with git that's not so
bad, since git has a notion of splitting the committer and patch
author, so they can be two separate people.

> All file
> submissions are committed using this SSH key. There is also the choice
> to use different SSH keys for different repository domains.

We tend not to give ssh access out to everyone; all translators have
https access to the server with no shell account.  How can we be sure
that this account won't get hijacked?  Sure, we can set the account's
shell to /bin/nologin (or can we?), but... I still don't like the
requirement of a 'real' account.

(Of course, I'm being a bit hypocritical here, seeing as I set up
gitosis on our server, which requires a ssh account...)

> I'll be happy to answer any other questions raised -- Stavros, thanks
> for CCing.

Thanks!  I'm very interested in making our i18n process easier, both on
our translators, and on our infrastructure.

	-brian