Working with branches after 4.6

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Sat Feb 21 04:54:48 CET 2009

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Stavros Giannouris wrote:
>
>> How about using transifex[1] for this, which is made to solve this
>> exact problem?
>
> Actually, looking at it, transifex doesn't seem to solve this particular
> problem.  It still appears to require that all the individual translator
> contributors have login credentials to the source repository, which
> means we'd still have to set up fine-grained permissions for the git
> repos.  Not saying transifex isn't a good idea, but it doesn't solve any
> new problems with the git transition.

What has worked for me in similar situations is to not worry about
fine-grained permissions. Being given access should be enough validation
that a translator *isn't* an idiot or malicious.

And if occasionally somebody goofs up -- hey -- it's a version-control
system, just revert it!

In any case -- I suspect that working via scripts will prevent anything
too disastrous from happening.

I'm guessing that trusting people to do the right thing will reduce the
overall effort.

-- b

PS: Alternatively, since it's git, it should be fairly easy to make a
relatively small number of people (2 or 3) conduits for all patches. If
it works for the Kernel it should work for us.