Working with branches after 4.6

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Thu Feb 19 21:27:50 CET 2009

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 10:48:37 -0800
"Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> Nick Schermer wrote:
> > Developers (!),
> >
> > Jannis had this nice point in his fosdem presentation that we should
> > work more in branches, esp. for large (project wide) changes so
> > trunk/master is not 'broken' for a long time and thus allowing us to
> > do releases more often/easy because the main branch is always in
> > good shape (the idea is good *wink*).
>
> I dunno about you, but I never leave my trunk in a broken state ^_~.
>
> > An important aspect of this is a vcs that does branching and merging
> > nicely and I think we more or less agree git is the way to go.
>
> Yeah pretty much.  I was going to wait until 4.6.0 before bringing
> all this up, but it seems some people are impatient, so... :-P
>
> > I also heard rumours Brian wants a svn clone running along side?
> > Why?
>
> This is just a nice-to-have for people who want to check out the
> source tree using tools they're familiar with.  It would be read-only
> and hopefully require close to zero maintenance.  Git is not exactly
> user-friendly and has a rather steep learning curve.
>
> > What to do with the goodies and archive?
>
> If we're going to migrate to a new VCS, we're doing everything.
> Maintaining the infrastructure for 2 different VCSs isn't something
> I'm interested in doing.
>
> > What are the permission problems/limitations?
>
> Git doesn't do fine-grained inside-repo permissions by default.  We'd
> need to write (or find and modify) pre-commit hooks to (for example)
> allow translator access to the po dirs but nothing else.  This isn't
> super hard, I don't think, but it's something we'd need to do.  Bonus
> points if it can use our existing svnperms.conf file for all the
> permissions regexes.  If not, someone needs to redo all that stuff.

Hm. It should not be too hard, I guess one of us can do that. But I'm
wondering if that's necessary. Basically, we could just allow one
*real* user group to access all the repositories, including a few
translations coordinators. And they could pull from the repositories of
the translators and then push their changes to the repository. That's
the nice thing about distributed version control.

To make providing the translators' changes to the coordinators easier
we could set up a separate repository web frontend, because clearly not
everyone has the possibility to host his repository somewhere public.

If that makes no sense I'd volunteer to look into the access management
stuff.

Cheers,
Jannis