4.6.0

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 13:54:26 CET 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 12:42 PM, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:
> Am Tue, 17 Feb 2009 12:54:13 +0100
> schrieb Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com>:
>
>> 2009/2/17 Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com>:
>> >
>> > That's not too much work, I can cook up a patch fairly quickly,
>>
>> There is already code to calculate this in the display code iirc.

Display? I am not sure it belongs to the display.

> That code seems to be wrong. According to Brian it assumes all the
> monitors you have form one big screen and then calculates the DPI
> according to the overall screen size. It would be better to calculate
> the DPI only for the first screen and then apply the same value to the
> others.

No, there is no right answer for multiscreen. Why pick the first monitor?

> And this should not be done in xfce4-settings because right now the DPI
> is reset whenever you enable the custom DPI checkox - which is really
> annoying. It should only do that the first time but not again and again.

Well, anyway, here comes my patch.

The tricky part is obviously if you have a multiscreen layout, which
can screw up DPI calculation entirely,

But then, the idea of having one single DPI for the whole display that
can be made up of different monitors with different DPI each is wrong
in the first place.

To avoid the problem, the patch takes the smallest DPI value in X and
Y. That will break if you have 2x2 multiscreen layout, but hey, we are
talking about sane defaults here, not fixing the issue for all and any
situation (this is why the setting is a settings, so ppl can adjust
for the corner cases!)

Anyway, I'd like to see this going forward, so either take that patch
of commit your own and let's get rid of it, our inability to move
forward is getting a bit frustrating.

Cheers,
Olivier.