4.6 documentation

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sun Feb 15 20:29:53 CET 2009

Heya,

(yes, I'm still around. mostly just lurking though :()

2009/2/14 Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com>:
>>> I was assuming the Xfce wiki, of course if you intend to setup a new
>>> wiki or reconfigure the Xfce wiki that can be avoided.
>>
>> Nope, within the xfce wiki it is possible to lock pages to a group of
>> users.
>
> It will be a separate wiki. I've written some dokuwiki plugins to
> define for example keybindings, menu choises, gui buttons, etc. Stuff
> we use for writing gui documentation.
>
> Personally I think 2 permission groups is good enough: admins and
> editors. Editors can change all the wiki contents, so 'translators'
> can fix typos or complete the C manual too. They are already people we
> allowed. It should also be possible for them to see the generated
> docbook page (will be a link at the bottom of the page), the script
> 'forces' strict writing of the contents and it will die if you don't
> follow the rules, better let them fix it. There will also be a few
> admins to manage the users accounts.
>
> We shouldn't make it too complicated or it will work against us!

I would be really glad if this works out!  I have a bit of a soft spot
for documentation, since that is what got me started working on Xfce.

Do we still want docbook?  On one hand it is good because it's (kinda)
standardized and can be rendered in many different formats, but if
nobody ever does that...

One problem used to be, which might have been fixed in the meantime,
that docbook does not properly support rtl languages, whereas good ol'
html does.  At least that is what I was told.

If all we ever do is pack it up and put it in a tarrball along with
the code, html might be good enough.

Anyway, online collaborative editing could be very beneficial to the
quality of our documentation and its translations.

cheers,

--
Jasper