xfce4-mixer not working on FreeBSD

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sat Feb 14 21:00:26 CET 2009

Am Sat, 14 Feb 2009 20:04:19 +0100
schrieb Oliver Lehmann <lehmann at ans-netz.de>:

> Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>
> > So - what could be missing here?
>
> Looks like I was missing gstreamer-plugins-good...
> *sigh* one more piece of software to install....
> where has all the low footprint gone?

Well ... there's a lot of reasoning behind using GStreamer here. First
of all, the old mixer had its own sound system backend implementations.
That means: buggy behaviour, maintainance overhead, limited support for
sound systems in general (only ALSA, OSS and Sun Audio).

GStreamer supports a large number of sound systems so we don't have to
worry about that. It's less buggy than our old implementations because
it is more widely used/tested. It also has a nice GObject API. And it
reduces the maintainance burden to almost zero, as we can simply
forward most of the non UI related bugs to GStreamer from now on.

Due to all this using GStreamer makes a lot of sense, despite the
memory overhead (which I actually haven't really benchmarked until now).

  - Jannis