Xfce Documentation viewer, idea...

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 07:26:27 CET 2009

Hi,

2009/12/9 Ali Abdallah <aliov at xfce.org>:
> Hey All,
>
> I wanna discuss in this mail having a simple viewer for our documentation.
>
> Why using a simple viewer instead of just asking a browser to show the doc:
> 1) It is much faster.
> 2) It will automatically load a localized documentations with respect to the
> system locale, if not found, C fallback,
> 2') If there is links inside a document, and it is not found in the current
> locale of the document itself,
>   then also the link is loaded from the C dir, this is done by catching
> "navigation-policy-decision-requested" webkit signal.
> 3) We can add whatever we like to the viewer.
>
> I wrote a simple viewer just for demonstration, the code can be found
> http://foo-projects.org/~nick/packages/xfce4-help-0.0.0.tar.bz2
> it depends on libxfce4ui and webkit, and the other standards.
>
> You can try it without installing it, just compile it with the correct
> prefix (prefix=/usr if your docs are in /usr/share/xfce4/doc).
>
> Let me guys know your opinions, and if you like the idea.

Ask someone to create a git repo, this is nice to have around and as
pointed out by Jim, libyelp will be around the corner sooner or later
and this app can eventually be the base of the future libyelp-based
app.

Currently I don't know any code that has a function to open
documentation, I do it manually by calling exo-open/firefox, which
brings me to think that we may need a convenience function in
libxfce4ui, it could be a simple call to xfce4_open_doc().

Links with anchors don't work, I receive a "Page not found" for the
following URI:
file:///usr/local/share/xfce4/doc/C/xfce4-intro.html%23xfce4-resources

> Best Regards,
> Ali.

Cheers
--